HOME
| QUICK FACTS | AUTHOR | PARTNERS | 10th Year | 2006 | 2010| 2012 | 2013 | 2015 | 2016 | 2018

Saturday, September 16, 2006

Dream: Restoring the Lakeside Forest of Lake Mainit

As I was writing the Historical Timeline of our town, I read in Arcilla SJ, Jose S., 1990. “Jesuit Missionary Letters from Mindanao”. Vol. V: The Surigao Mission, that in the mid-1800s towards the early 1900s, the shores of Lake Mainit were heavily forested with Magcono and other Philippine Hardwoods. And through my travels and documentation in the past 15 years, I saw remnants of that forest... seeing tuod (tree trunks) along the lakeshores. 

Then, I had a dream... a lake ecopark... where its 62km shoreline is heavily forested with trees... where my sons, their grandchildren... roam around, running, playing, enjoying nature at its best. 

Hi everyone, I am Peter. I am also Zimmbodilion. I have created this site to document the advocacies from our town Mainit, Surigao del Norte (Southern Philippines) for the country's CLEAREST, 2nd DEEPEST, and 4th LARGEST lake... our beloved Lake Mainit.

Many of those who saw my passion to help conserve and preserve our lake has given me names. I can't recall all, but here are some from whom I also know are fellow environmental enthusiasts:

"One of Surigao's staunch enviromental warrior" 
Atty. Cocoy Rebuta, Legal Rights and Natural Resources Center, Inc, Manila, Philippines

"Most consistent and dedicated Mainitnon"
Kap. Gaudencio Mondano, Punong Barangay 2013-present, Barangay Quezon, Mainit, Surigao del Norte  

"Ang banggiitang Mainitnon. Di napapagod sa pakikibaka"
Atty. Mai Taqueban, Cagayan de Oro City

My Bangkal Seedling! This is one of the 371 trees planted on the Western Shores of Lake Mainit (Panayakpan) during the September 16, 2006 Tree Planting Project.

With fellow Lake Mainit environmental warriors, siblings Al Rodin Behagan and Lodella Mae Behagan-Mosca planting a Bangkal seedling on the west bank of the Barangay Quezon coastal area of  the lake (Bitan-ag shores) last May 31, 2015.
Hugging the 8-year old (6cm thick) Bangkal tree planted in 2006 at the Panayakpan area (Eastern Shores) of Lake Mainit.

I was inspired to design shirts for Lake Mainit. I am not am enterpreneur but since people liked my shirts, I got orders and have since sold almost a thousand pieces. Here's one example... an embroidered Lake Mainit logo on a honeycomed collared premium cotton black shirt. Taken in January 2016 with an 8-month  Bangkal tree.

One of the 2006 Batch of Bangkal Trees, now towering at above 30-feet and diameter of 10 inches (planted September 16, 2006)


No comments: